Advocare - Had a severe allergic reaction

My son turned me on to this stuff and I was very excited about it as I have been looking to lose weight and feel good.I spent 200 on products and becoming a distributor, however was absolutly not planning on spending that much money, but hey, who can put a price on health.

I went and spent another $50 on food that I could eat. Well, my first day of a cleansing I felt very sick to my stomache. I tried to eat something but felt worse after I ate food. I wound up throwing up.

That my friends was just the beginning of my day from ***. Next thing I knew, I was not able to breath and my face felt hot. I had a friend take me to the ER however she had to call an ambulance to pick me up as my breathing was getting worse. When the ambulance finally arrived, my blood pressure and oxygen levels had dropped dangerously low.

They had to put an IV and pump me with medication to stabalize me before they could transport me to the hospital. Long story short, Advocare cost me an ambulance ride (I have not even recieved the bill for this yet), a $100 ER copay and another $50 for medications because now I have to carry an epi pen. Bottom line, I had a severe allergic reaction to something in the products. I have NEVER been allergic to anything my whole life, I did nothing different that day, and I have had allergy tests for the basic stuff, such as food, chemical etc all negative.

Call it what you want, say what you want, but something in their product almost cost me my life. I am only saying this as I feel it is VERY important to research a product before you rush out and buy it. My son is still excited about this product and the upline he works with are really nice people. I feel it is my duty to warn all folks to research and see your doctor before taking ANY product that is not regulated by the FDA.

I feel the distributors should take the responsibilty to encourage anyone talking the product to see a doctor before starting any diet program. I do not blame the people who see advocare, I blame the company for not encouraging their dealers to give warnings before talking products. This should be true for any and all companies, not just Advocare. My next step is to contact this company and hopefully get some sort of reimbursement for all this.

Please don't tell me that it "had to be something else." I read the article on the person who had a stroke, believe me, the only thing different I did that day was take this product. Please Please Please!!

take percautions before taking any supplement.Thank yu for your time

More Review Details

Helpful? 46 Yes 46 65 No 65
Had the same issue 72 Yes 72
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Login
OR Is it your business? Respond to your
customers as verified company representative.
Apply for a Free Plan

May 18 #985659

you shouldn't even expect them to reimburse you for your medical bills... you took the product at your own risk. you CHOSE to take it and use it.
Anything you put in your mouth has a chance to give you an allergic reaction. how is it the company's fault that you had an allergic reaction to it?? and I would assume you are a grown adult and therefore you need to have common sense that you should consult a doctor when starting any type of diet/supplement regimen. Why do you need the distributor to tell you that? have some common sense!!
If I ate a peanut and then developed an allergic reaction to it, would I sue Planters??? No, because I ate it at my own risk. it was my decision. You shouldn't expect advocare to reimburse you.

0 2 Reply
Kj

Mar 24 #963096 Houston, Texas

I was at the park running and drinking the spark energy drink. After 30 mins of running i started getting real bad itching in mu whole body and told mu husband we need it to leve asap. My eyes started getting swollen and hd really bad bumps in my whole body. He ruahed my to the ER and i just barely made it when i had to cut through the line because i was about to pass out. Everything turn black and i felt my life was over for a min because i couldnt see nothing and felt extremly weak. So they rush me into a room asap. I never ever had any allergic rection in my life so it was pretty scary. All i wana say is that i learn my lesson. If you want energy and loose weight do it the natural way by eting healthy.

Itchqueen

Oct 19, 2014 #886951

I had a reaction to Spark. SEVERE itching!!! It took me a while to find the culprit. I believe it is the niacin, but I also have an allergy to most fruits, so I'm not sure. However, my Advocare rep stands behind all her sales and will refund your money with no questions asked!

Apr 22 #975487

A lot of energy supplement drinks and preworkouts cause itching. Its a common side effect.

vanessa

Sep 18, 2014 #872185

It was most likely the niacin in the spark, that you were sensitive to

Jack RN

Jul 28, 2014 #847546 Brunswick, Georgia

Your doing a body cleanse for God sakes! lol what do you expect it to do? nothing? its getting rid of all those toxins you been eating for years. Tough it out and stop complaining!

1 9 Reply
Kat

Jan 08 #927740 Austin, Texas

Having read her description of anaphylaxis, I'm guessing your nickname is only just that, a nickname. No one with a legitimate RN behind his name would say such things.
Yes, a normal cleanse can be a little inconveniencing and uncomfortable for some and I agree those people could just suck it up, but to tell a person who experienced anaphylaxis to continue using a substance that caused the histamine release is irresponsible at best.

2 0 Reply
Jas

Jul 28, 2014 #847543 Brunswick, Georgia

Well first of all, if you have allergies you should ALWAYS look to see what is in the product. Most people who have bad reactions like yours do not even know that they might have another allergy that was not on the basic allergy panel. So, long story short, please review what is in the products and see if any of those match up with your allergy list. All Advocare products have a detailed product page that if the product has a known allergy they list it as an allergy alert e.g. shellfish, certain fruits, nuts, etc. Every Advocare distributor that I know of explains the products very well and they even go over allergies with their potential client before hand. So I am not sure what happen in your situation but, not knowing is not a defense where you can lay blame to someone else besides yourself. They encourage all customers to read everything before they use the product... that is just common sense and part of being a conscious consumer.

2 1 Reply
Sarah Beth

Jul 17, 2014 #841767

Omg I had the same reaction! I just got back from the ER about 2 hrs ago. They did the same thing to too and I mean same dang thing! Since I've got home my heart has had an irregular beat. Very tempted to go back to the ER

2 0 Reply

Oct 06, 2014 #880502

I had no idea that I had a allergy. And come to find out I have a shellfish allergy. I had a strawberry grain bar with the advocare and the strawberry acted as an igniter and made the omega3 flair up. Super scary. I do take the spark still every once and a while but not the 24 day challenge. The doctor said it was like I was having an overdose of omega3.

Rich

May 10, 2014 #813888

If you had a reaction on the first day, my question is did you take the fiber drink in the morning it contains nuts (walnuts). This would make complete sense. Did you read the package ingredients before consuming i think it lists it as an allergen. Fortunately I was advised to take the peaches and cream which does not contain nuts. So sorry you had to go through that anaphylaxis it is a real bad experience.

Sarah Beth

Jul 17, 2014 #841776

I had the same reaction. And today was my 2nd day with just the spark. And I've only taken 2 of the meal replacement pills (at 12pm my breakfast since I work nights) both at the same time for two days. And day 2 is when I had my reaction to something. Either the AdvoCare or a nutria grain strawberry bar.

Jeff

Apr 29, 2014 #810327

I think one statement might put a lot of these reviews into perspective. "I had a bad reaction to niacin which is basically vitamin b"
I say that because it can be misleading to make this sound like monsters in the closet. Google niacin reactions and you will see.

MB

Apr 07, 2014 #802904

I have been on advocare now for for 13 days and I had to stop taking the herbal cleanse after 5 days because i was also having an allergic raction to the herbal cleanse. I am on day 13 and my third day with taking the MNS and I am having another allergic reaction, body itching, hot, red face and I have been taking my inhaler a lot the last two days an I thought it was just my asthma acting up but now I realize it is not. I will not be taking Advocare any more and will try to get my $170 back that I paid for the product and pray that I do not have to go to the hospital.

Brenda

Mar 29, 2014 #800063 Dallas, Texas

I am having some sort of reaction that is making me feel just awful-- like PMS symptoms: Fluid retention, fuzzy brain, heaviness. Has anyone else felt like this using
Spark??

mrs m

Mar 04, 2014 #790940

I'm not trying to talk anyone into using AdvoCare, but to help you understand the reaction. I too had similar reactions to the Slam product with the red face, nausea and itching. It is my understanding that it is the Niacin in the product that causes these effect. Niacin is forcing the impurities out of the blood stream. It is a process, and as I too have experienced, can be alarming, but if you can tolerate the discomfort and follow the plan, it can be well worth the effort. It takes time to flush the toxins from ones body. As suggested on the bottle of Slam, using between meals, and perhaps taking a little at a time will help lesson the severity of the reaction. Keeping yourself hydrated by drinking at least eight glasses of water a day is imperative to the success of any diet.
By all means discontinue use of any product that your doctor warns you not to use because of your personal reaction. With that said, we all have our own personal experiences, and I find AdvoCare products to be safe and effected when used as directed. AdvoCare representatives are very supportive and informative with any questions and/or concerns their customers might have. Best of luck on your journey to a more healthy, happy live style. I wish you peace.

Tamalama

Aug 26, 2013 #707186 Buffalo, New York

I went through the ten day cleanse fine but on the third day of the msn3 I woke up with a red swollen face that eventually started itching. I too went to the ER for prednisone, zantac and benedryl and it went away. I have taken two of the vitamins out of my pack and haven't had any trouble since but also I used to be able to eat fish such as salmon and ink longer can since detoxifying my body. My body reacts different to fish now. Also keep in mind smoking and being around second hand smoke can cause u to have an allergic reaction.

Aug 01 #1014522

What two pills did you take out?

Deni McM

May 22, 2013 #654686

I completed the cleanse per the instructions and was on day 7 of the MNS MAX - E phase when I woke up with a severe case of hives and had to go to ER for a shot of steroids plus prednisone and antihistimine prescription. I'm 55 and in good health overall and never have been allergic to anything, but there is something in this product that is giving some people a serious rash / hives. Does anyone know what this might be? I'd like to ask the medical board if I could obtain contact info.

Mar 05, 2013 #618381 Canton, Georgia

So when I ate shellfish that I had eaten before for years I should have sued the restaurant for serving me shell fish? Honestly if you are unsure of allergy issues then you should be wary of any product. Or more than that, should my sister sue the maker of honey mustard since when blended she can't eat it since it makes her violently ill, or my mother for being allergic to bubble gum? Come on, don't drag a company down because you didn't know that you would have an allergic reaction!

1-20 of 28 comments

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.